Oranges and Tangerines are two types of citrus fruits that are normally confused with one another. They are rich in Vitamin C and other assortments of nutrients that make consuming them equally important. Both are sweet in flavor and contain low calories. While these two types of citrus fruits are relatively similar, they have some differences that tell them apart. This article will highlight the differences between oranges and tangerines.
Orange Vs. Tangerine
The main distinguishing factor between oranges and tangerines is their size. Oranges come in a variety of shapes and sizes, depending on the type. But the rule of thumb is oranges grow larger in size than tangerines. On the other hand, tangerines are usually smaller, also known as baby oranges. They also look flattened and less round.
They come in handy as pocket-size snacks. Tangerines are soft to touch when ripening, but oranges are heavy and firm when ripe. The two fruits range from those that have seeds and those that do not have seeds. But it usually depends on the type you have. For instance, navel oranges are seedless, whereas Valencia oranges have seeds.
Tangerines and oranges differ in color as oranges are yellow-orange with the exception of blood oranges which are dark red in color. On the other hand, tangerines have the same color across the board. They are all reddish oranges. Their origin is different too. The two fruits have two seasons; they are usually harvested in November and continue till June. They spice up our winter diet. They help with so many health issues. This is because they are rich in many plant-based compounds. They are famous for their sweetness as both fruits are sweet and delicious.
What is Orange?
Oranges are among the most popular fruits in the world. Most people do not know where they came from. But some think its cultivation started in Eastern Asia. Today, the vast majority of oranges are produced in Sao Paulo, Brazil, and Florida. It’s a type of citrus fruit that is sweet and juicy plus has low calories. They have many health benefits and spice up flavors in your diet. It also helps maintain beauty by ensuring that your skin is strong and clear.
It is consumed and used in a myriad of ways. For instance, you can eat them whole or make them as juices. If you wish to have that tangy flavor in desserts, you can add oranges.
They come in four different types they include common orange, naval, blood or pigment, and acid less or sweet.
- Naval: it’s the most common orange. It is referred to as naval because it grows as the second fruit at the base. It looks like a human belly button.
- Common Orange:There are a variety of them and are used to make juices. They include Hamlin, Gardener, and Valencia.
- Acid Less or Sweet: just like the name suggests, the orange has low acidity levels. They cannot be used to make juices but are eaten because of their low acidity levels.
- Blood or Pigmented Oranges: they have dark red flesh, but at times they can have dark red spots.
Advantages of Oranges:
- Prevent skin damage.
- High in Vitamin C.
- Healthy Immune System.
- Keeping the blood pressure low.
- Low cholesterol.
- Controlling your sugar levels.
- Alkalizes the body.
- Good for eyes health.
- Prevents constipation.
- It keeps the body risk free of cancer.
What is Tangerine?
Tangerine originated from Palatka, Florida. They gave it the name tangerine because they were imported through the city of Tangier, Morocco. It’s a kind of citrus fruit rich in minerals and vitamins. The minerals include potassium, folate, and thiamine. It is grown in the tropical areas of Asia. They are also popular types of citrus in the world for providing nutrients. They are also liked because of their health benefits. It helps with a lot of health issues like liver disease, asthma, chemotherapy side effects, lung cancer, clogged arteries, indigestion, colon, and many others.
It also helps protect your heart by regulating the blood pressure. They also help minimize the risk of contracting cancer by destroying the growing cancer cells. They also ensure you maintain your beauty by ensuring your skin is clear and strong. It will also help maintain good hair. Apart from nutritional benefits, tangerine can help with high fiber and low calorie assist with weight loss.
Tangerines are available to everyone in the world. They are available for purchase online and in the supermarket. Tangerines baskets can make excellent gifts.
Benefits of Eating Tangerines:
- Promoting a healthy heart.
- Maintaining an excellent digestive system.
- Reducing stress.
- It helps in reducing weight loss.
- Regulating blood pressure.
- Reducing cancer risks.
- Maintaining good hair and skin.
Difference between Orange and Tangerine
- The main difference between orange and tangerine is in their sizes. Oranges are bigger and rounder than tangerines.
- They also differ in color. Oranges are yellow-orange in color, while tangerines are reddish-orange in color.
- Tangerines are more flavorful than oranges. They are sweeter than oranges.
- Oranges are rich in Vitamin C, while Tangerines are rich in Vitamin A.
- Both oranges and tangerines have thin skins. But when it comes to peeling, oranges are more difficult to peel than tangerines.
Tangerines and oranges are two types of citrus fruits. They come from the same species, but they distinguish between them. They are different in terms of origin, taste, shape, size, and other factors.
Orange and tangerine comprise water and carbohydrates. They will help in the digestive system as they are high in fiber. They are also rich in minerals and vitamins. They are rich in vitamin A and C. The minerals they have include folate, potassium, and thiamine. They can either be seedless or have seeds.
The two fruits can be consumed in various ways. You can eat the whole thing or make delicious juices. Their peels are used in desserts when you want to have that tangy taste in desserts. Eating them whole is the best way to eat them. You can easily peel them and just eat. They are a great addition to the fruit bowl.